CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

1.05.2012

Gender Reveal Cake


I've seen these done before, and hoped one day the opportunity would come my way to do one as well. Imagine my excitement when it did! Some friends of ours are will be having their 6th child soon and asked me to do a cake to announce the gender of their baby to their family.

Here's how it went. She went to the Dr. and told them she didn't want to be told the gender of the baby, they put the gender in a sealed envelope and she brought it to me. I baked a tall, round chocoholic cake and cut out the center of the cake. I colored the frosting the appropriate gender reveal color (pink for a girl and blue for a boy) and filled the cavity in the cake.

For the outside of the cake I was originally thinking of doing it all white, but the hubba-bubba said that was boring and suggested I do pink and white to make it more festive for their party. I decided to do a different ruffle. Remember this vertical ruffle cake? This time I wanted to try horizontal ruffles, and it seemed perfect for a baby cake.



Then, also at the suggestion of my hubba-bubba and I piped "It's a..." on the top of the cake so by cutting into it they would see if it was a boy or girl. It turned out perfectly, I think I'll keep that hubba-bubba of mine ;)


They took the cake to the party, and I was terrified that they would slam on the breaks, the cake would topple over and the the surprise spoiled. I know, I'm dramatic. Anyway, they had everyone gather around, they already have 4 girls and 1 boy so everyone started chanting "boy! boy! boy!" they cut into the cake, opened it for everyone see, to find PINK frosting! Another girl for this great family, we can't wait to meet her and I was happy to be a part of their gender reveal occasion.

With the extra cake I removed from the center I made my very first cake pops for their kids to enjoy on the drive.

*The next day I saw several of their family members and they told me how the cake was awesome and tasted amazing. Because really, isn't the point of a cake to taste good?

9 comments:

Cedar Reids

Yes, the point of cake is to taste good! haha Tina, you crack me up :)

Love you!

Line

I want chocoholic cake now haha. Very cute!

Jenn Salad

Tina you are so talented and your blog makes me soooo hungry!

Darah

What a gorgeous cake Tina! Good job!!

Gigi's Thimble

That's awesome Tina! What a cute idea! The cake looks great and I'm sure tasted amazing!

Take care,
Amber

sweetwahine

Good job this cake looks delicious.. <3

Cam and Lohi

Love this story! I've never heard of this reveal cake before...good idea! I've also been wanting to eat all your yummy creations. They sound so good. One of these days I have to try. Coming to Hawaii any time?

Mauga Fam

What a cute cake and great idea:)

Sanz

So cute! You're so talented!